Apple Watch Release Date April. 24th 2015
Wired, Mashable, Time and countless others are talking about the Apple Watch coming out next month. Yesterdays Apple event attracted many, and talked a lot about things already covered last fall. (See it here)
Below is a Time Video 90 second recap of everything you missed
To confirm, the Watch will have important sensors to track activity, along with a heart rate monitor.
All models of Apple Watch do exactly the same things
Cost of Apple Watch
Depending on model and size chosen, “available in 38mm and 42mm”. Many already heard about the hefty $10,000+ price tag on the high end model. Very acceptable price actually, believe it or not. (I’ll explain this shortly)
- Apple Watch Sport Edition: $349 – $399 Aluminum Casing
- Apple Watch: $549-$1049 ; $599-$1099 Stainless Steel Casing
- Apple Watch Edition: $10,000 – $20,000 18-Karat Gold Casing
The price jump from $549/$599 to $1049/$1099 will depend on the strap you decide on. If you’re looking for anything other than the sports strap, expect to pay at least $849 when they launch.
- Colorful Sport Straps will cost $69
- Leather Straps are between $199-$329
- Stainless Steel Straps from $199-$599
Why is Apple Watch Edition $10,000 to $20,000?
It will cost $10,000 US or $13,000 Canadian for the base model because of what the Apple Watch Edition case is made of (18-karat rose gold and yellow gold).
Apple is actually generous with their offer when standing up against the other high end competitors such as Rolex. Some Rolex watches that only tell time and time zones, will come in at the $20,000 and $40,000 ranges.
Apple will certainly have their fingers into the $20,000+ range with different models of the Apple watch edition.
Apple Watch Edition Models
- $10,000 to $15,500 with sport straps
- $19,000 for classic colored leather straps
- $22,000 for modern colored leather straps
It seems the value in material used in this device far exceeds the technology put into it. Oddly enough, each watch is made with Sapphire Crystal glass. So this really narrows it down to the casing and strap you go with.
Despite having a gold casing, I think the Apple Watch middle class stainless steel will more than fancy people like myself. Saving myself $9000 to $19,000 sounds great!
Apple Watch Built in Features
Requires minimum of Iphone 5c
- Text Messaging -Send voice to text, location, quick yes/no responses and smileys.
- Calling – Take or make calls from your watch.
- Calander – See whats next on your agenda quickly
- Activity – Tracks calorie goal, Standing duration, and exercise details
- Stop Watch – Self explanatory with cool graphing features
- Camera Remote – Set your iPhone camera from your Watch.
- Music Control – Change music on your iPhone from your Watch.
- Maps – A navigational tool that shows you the best route to take.
- Workout – This feature tracks cardio workout times and burned calories.
- Passbook: Store boarding passes, gift cards for quick pay or pass abilities.
Will the Apple Watch Prevail?
My excitement wasn’t exacty overboard from the beginning. Only because a giant company such as Apple deciding to make a smart watch did many people turn heads. Least to say, they will surely use their current Apple fans to strengthen a wave that was already rolling. (A very common practice if I remember correctly)
Luckily, users without iPhones will have lots of variation in smart watches to choose from. Many new start up companies, and well known tech companies like Samsung are at the podiums with their ideas.
The question still remains: Will Apple have the best smart watch?